Demonstrations, workshops, talks on batiks, shibori techniques and painting on silk are given.
2006-7: Workshops held in USA
• G Street Fabric Shop, 11854 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852
• The Textile Museum, 2320 S Street NW, Washington DC 20008
• The Smithsonian Institution, S Dillon Ripley Center, Washington DC 20026
• Harrisville Designs Center Village, New Hampshire, P O Box 806, Harrisville, New Hampshire 03450
See Tuition list for dates and subjects in 2009-2010. £10.00 off if two or more classes are booked.
One-to-One Tuition available.
For further information, please contact Lee Creswell:
via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Future Tuition:
- Batik: Dyeing to Discharge
Born in Malacca (Malaysia), Lee spent her early childhood in a colourful world of batiks and silks but has been living in England since 1962. Her aim is to explore the versatility of batik by creating works on different materials, with subjects ranging from botanical, seascape to marine life. In recent years she started to collage some of her painted pieces by embellishing them with hand and machine embroidery, giving the works more texture and depth.
During her 2 year stay in Washington DC, The Martin Luther King Jr Memorial Library honoured her by holding a month-long exhibition of her ‘Silk Creations'. Some of her silk paintings were selected for exhibition in the District Courthouse, Maryland, USA. She is a freelance tutor/demonstrator/lecturer on batik, shibori and silk painting and holds classes in UK and USA, has lectured in the Textile Museum (Washington DC) and other art centres in the US. In 2007 & 2009 she was one of the invited speakers at the Kuala Lumpur International Batik Convention. She was a guest speaker at The 1958 Golden Anniversary Reunion in Malacca, Malaysia.
Her works have appeared in ‘Batik for Artists & Quilters', ‘Batik Transitions – From Classic to Contemporary' & ‘1000 Artisan Textiles'. She has published a DVD “Useable and Wearable Batiks” with another batik artist, written articles for a number of Journals and received private commissions from America, Germany, Japan, Malaysia and UK.
She is Assistant Secretary of the World Batik Council; UK Representative of SPIN (Silk Painters International, USA); Oversea Contributor of ‘MyBatik' Journal, Malaysia, was on the Organising Committee of the 20th Anniversary Exhibition of the Batik Guild.
International Shibori Society, Surface Design Association USA, The Textile Museum (Washington DC), Smithsonian Institute (Washington DC), Cambridge Open Studios, UK Batik Guild, Guild of Silk Painters and registered with the Crafts Council, UK.
• 8 February-5 March, ArtvanGo, Hertfordshire
• 8 September-10 October, Maeldune Heritage Centre Exhibition, Essex
• 20-22 February, Textile in Focus (Group Exhibition of Fen Edge Textiles), Cottenham Village College, Cambs
• 6-21 June 2009 (Group Exhibition of Fen Edge Textiles, Sutton Hoo)
• 11-12 July 2009 and 25-26 July 2009, Solo Exhibition, Cambridge Open Studios
• July-December 2007 (Silk Painters International Group Exhibition)
Silk Fine Art Exhibition, US District Courthouse Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
• 1-31st October 2007 (Solo Exhibition)
Silk Creations, Martin Lurther King Memorial Library, 901 G Street NW, Washington DC, USA
• January 2007 (Baik Group Exhibition)
The Gloucester Museum and Art Gallery
May 2007 (Batik Group Exhibition)
• Brighton Festival Open House
• September – November 2006
The Batik Guild 20th Anniversary Exhibition, The Knitting & Stitching Exhibitions at NEC (Birmingham), Alexandra Palace (London), and Harrogate.
• “Dreams” – Group Exhibition, 3rd Anniversary of the Belarus Batik Club, organised by the Belarus Batik Club.
• Guild of Silk Painters Annual Meeting, Francis Bacon School, St Albans, Herts.
• Waxing Lyricals, Batik Guild Annual Exhibition, Haddenham Gallery, Nr Ely, Cambs
• Festival of Quilts, World of Shibori Stand, NEC, Birmingham Members’ Exhibition
• Cambridge Open Studios, One person show
• Heidelberg Exchange Open Studios (Germany), Group Show
• Textile in Focus, Group Show, Cottenham Village College, Cambridge, UK.
• Christmas Exhibition, Group Exhibition of Cambridge Open Studio Artists, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge
• Cambridge Open Studios (One person Show)
• “Looking West”, Batik Guild Annual Exhibition in Carmarthen, Wales
• Annual Batik Guild, Scotland, Perth
• The Hoboken Travel Exhibition, New York & Chicago, USA 3 pieces of wall hangings
• 1st International Congress of Silk Painters, Fairfax, Virginia, USA, Two Oriental Curtains
- Future Exhibitions:
- Taking Liberties
Lee Creswell received a Silver Star Award in a Silk Painters' Exibition and received a number of Highly Recommended mentions.
Batik, Collage, Fabric, Mixed Media, Silk Embroidery, Silk Painting
Abstract, Botanical Illustration, Flowers And Gardens, Landscape, Seascapes and Water, Wild Flowers